IBC is meeting via Zoom, starting together and then breaking off into 2 smaller groups. There will also be a sermon available on YouTube for those that prefer that format. Contact Pastor Johann for additional details.
The next study series will be based on Pastor Matt Chandler's (The Village Church, Flower Mound, TX) teachings on Psalm 23. In this series, he takes Christian's most favorite psalm of David and meditates on one verse at a time, and shares his personal reflections. Each video is very brief (about 5-6 minutes in length) and we plan to do 2 verse/videos per week. I will be sharing a meditation guide for the whole chapter and supplementary explanations for each verse (optional) prepared by RightNow media. It would also be a good time to utilize Lectio Divina, as we will be studying two verses a week.
- See emails from this week with recommended study guide. This week we are studying Psalm 23:5-6 (see Matt Chandler's video teaching here and here).
- Sunday, November 29, via Zoom: We will start with a "coffee hour," 9:40-9:55. Pre-worship music will begin at 9:55. The combined worship service will include the call to worship, opening prayer, praise songs, personal meditation, a brief summary of Matt Chandler's Reflections, and the Lord's Prayer. One Zoom meeting will be created so that anyone who is interested will be able to join in. We will then break into two (or more, if needed) small groups to discuss this week's topic. Pastor Johann will send out the Zoom meeting information via email.
And as we prepare for this year's Christmas celebration, we will incorporate the following materials into our daily/weekly devotions:
1) Daily Devotionals from Center for Christianity; Culture and Arts (CCCA). This will be emailed, starting on December 29th.
2) Max Lucado's book, "Because of Bethlehem; Love is Born, Hope is Here," A copy of the book will be mailed or delivered to everyone's homes in the next few days and we would like for everyone to join us in the Spirit and be led to live a life that is full. Thanks to the deacons for their help in distributing the books.
Please feel free to read the book at your convenience but Pastor Johann will send weekly devotion guidelines, which will include a suggested weekly reading schedule as the Advent devotion guideline, which is located near the end of the book. Following is the tentative schedule for the Advent Study:
- December 3: Week 1 "Hope"
- December 10: Week 2 "Peace"
- December 17: Week 3 "Joy"
- December 24: Week 4 "Love"
- December 25: "Christmas Eve/Christmas Day"
The Missions Committee has a couple of ways to help others in need during this Thanksgiving season:
- Due to the pandemic, Open Door will not be collecting turkeys this year. Instead, they are asking for donations -- $30 per meal -- to be donated for a Thanksgiving meal with all the fixings. However, donations in any amount will certainly be welcomed. Donations can be made online at foodpantry.org/donate or by sending a check to Open Door, 28 Emerson Ave., Gloucester, MA 01930.
-We are also taking part in a virtual food drive, non-perishable items only. Phil and Amy have volunteered to go to homes to pick up items. This will be ongoing through Christmas.
Our hearts are broken at the loss of Jack Good on October 18. We grieve with Sue, Bonnie & Matt, Travis & JJ, and the extended Good family. A Celebration of Life service will be planned at a future date. Jack's obituary can be found here.
Our hearts are broken at the loss of George on March 27. We grieve with Amy, Jack, Georgie, Samantha, Ellie, and the extended Norris family. Service information will be provided at a later date, once social distancing is in the past & hugs are allowed. George's obituary can be found here.
IBC Small Groups (currently on hiatus):
Adult Sunday School meets each Sunday following worship and the group is studying the Book of Romans. See JK or Mercury for more information.
Senior Saints meets each Friday evening at 6:30 pm at the Oak Hill Apartment of Audrey Brown. They are studying the Book of John.
Women's Group meets the 2nd and 4th Fridays of the month at 10am at the home of Cathie Robie. The group is currently studying Women of Faith from the Old Testament. See Merrily for more information.
Men's Group meets the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of each month meeting at IBC at 7:00 am. The group is currently studying the Book of Mark. See Gene or Pastor Johann for more information. NOTE: This group is currently meeting for sharing and prayer the 2nd and 4th Saturdays via Zoom.
The Board of Christian Education updated the library, which has been moved to the church office. If anyone has relevant Christian books, DVDs - fiction, studies, daily readings, etc - that they would like to share, please give them to someone on the Board of Christian Ed or feel free to put them in the office. Many thanks to all who have donated!
Caryl and Vinny volunteered to update the church signs. If you have any creative/interesting ideas for the signs that best communicate the gospel message with the community, please feel free to share them with Caryl (and Publicity Committee - Caryl, Tam, & Mallory). Please be reminded that the space on the board is limited and the suggestions will be reviewed by church leadership.
Nursery is available year-round for infants through age 4 during the worship service. Junior Church (during the sermon) is available year-round for ages 4 through 2nd grade.
Are you praying persistently, boldly and believingly for someone or something that God has laid upon your heart and mind?
Ipswich Dinner Bell - a FREE community meals program serves meals at the Masonic Hall (Topsfield Road) from 5:00-6:00 pm every Monday evening. The meal is available to everyone and is prepared by members of local churches and the community. See Merrily or Sue for additional information.
Food Offerings for the Ipswich Food Pantry may be donated any Sunday. There is a container in the entryway for this offering. Specific foods that are always kept in stock include: cereal, mac & cheese, peanut butter and baked beans. Other items, including baby food & formula, are also welcome.